APPLESAUCE WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

J, I'm sorry it took me so long to post this. I think you only asked for it a week ago. Your bread making urge is probably gone by now. I hope this is the bread recipe you meant. You can use up some of that homemade applesauce I brought you. Or not. Just think-now that this recipe is posted on We Recipe you can't lose it . None of us can. Unless the internet becomes obsolete. Or crashes. Or we don't have access to a computer. Then you can just call me.

3 cups applesauce
2 1/2 cups hot water
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup oil
6 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup warm water
6 cups white flour

Combine applesauce, water, sugar, salt, oil, and whole wheat flour. Let sit 20 minutes. (I rarely let it sit.) Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water and add. Add white flour and knead 10 minutes. Cover and let rise. Punch down. Let rest 10 minutes. (I usually omit this rest also.) Shape into loaves. Put in 4 greased loaf tins. Let rise. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Brush with water. This makes the crust soft instead of crunchy. Immediately remove from pans and let cool.
Mom

BREAD MACHINE VARIATION ADDED BY NaNiCa:

3/4 cup applesauce
2/3 cup water
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tablespoon yeast
1/4 cup brown sugar

Put ingredients into bread pan in order listed. Don't allow yeast to come in contact with liquid. It's best if ingredients are at room temperature - the water can even be warm. This makes about a 2 pound loaf. Follow your bread machines instructions.

1 comment:

The Fantastic Four said...

Thanks Mom!! Happy bread baking. =)