SUSAN'S TOFFEE BARS

This is a recipe for some cookies that my mother, Francis Hayward Tippets, used to make and that we all liked. It's a lot like J's Famous Blondies except that it calls for oatmeal and you sprinkle the chocolate chips on the top after baking, let them melt, and spread them like frosting instead of sprinkling them on top before baking.

1 1/2 cups shortening or butter (I usually use half of each.)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup flour (I usually use half whole wheat and half white.)
1 1/2 cups uncooked rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips

Cream butter/shortening, sugars, vanilla, and salt. Mix in eggs. Mix in flour and oatmeal. Spread in a greased 10"x15" inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and allow to melt. Spread with a knife. When cool cut into bars.

Mom

1 comment:

The Fantastic Four said...

Thanks Mom!! I haven't had these for years so it was fun when you brought some last week. =)