This recipe comes from an Italian restaurant called Ristorante della Fontana that was popular in Salt Lake City. In fact, my mother had a luncheon for me there when I got engaged. Unfortunately it closed years ago. Prepare this recipe in a large kettle because it's restaurant-size. It makes tons, like 2 1/4 gallons. I sometimes freeze it. Joanne Stokes gave me this recipe.
1/2 cup olive oil (Pompeian)
2 medium onions, chopped
4 carrots, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon crystals
2 tablespoons chicken base
2 tablespoons beef base
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon oregano powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup barley, raw (Quaker)
1 can green beans
1 can diced carrots
1 can peas
1 large can garbanzo beans (S&W)
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
1 large can kidney beans
1 10-ounce package frozen spinach
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
2 cups cooked elbow macaroni (1 1/2 cups raw)
1. Pour in oil, onions, carrots, celery.
2. Doctor up with 5-11.
3. Add barley. Cook together 4-5 minutes till vegetables are tender.
4. Add canned goods including juices.
5. Add 1 gallon water.
6. Add tomato paste. ( I like to do this before I add the water.)
7. Add spinach still frozen.
8. Add cooked macaroni. (I usually add it uncooked.)
Simmer 2-3 hours. (I sometimes serve it as soon as the spinach is cooked.) Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Mom
Gluten-free if omitting pasta and barley. Substitute rice instead.
MINESTRONE SOUP
YUMMY CATEGORIES: DINNER, GLUTEN-FREE, J's FAVORITES, SOUP
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love this soup!! Too bad I don't have a big enough family to facilitate an entire batch of it. =)
Post a Comment